Friday, May 25, 2012

Genealogy Fan Chart - Martha Stewart

 Years ago, like the mid-90's, I made a family history fan chart for my parents as a Christmas gift.  I was interested in family history, and I knew our family already had extensive records so when I saw this Fan Chart in the Martha Steward Catalog, I purchased TWO of them.

With one of the charts I carefully penned each name into their corresponding generation box. Then I had it framed and wrapped for Christmas.

The second chart - oh, I wish I knew what happened to the second fan chart.  I suppose one day I may find it in the abyss of stuff I still have floating around my parents home (along with all my empty CD cases).



Martha Stewart has long since stopped making these fan charts.  Which is a shame, they were such a beautiful and simple way to view your ancestry.

As it turns out, there happens to be someone else who liked this fan chart as much as I do.  She's even gone so far as to create one in a jpeg format for FREE! 


 http://www.csh.rit.edu/~thfemale/family_tree.jpg

It's meant to fit a 20x28 inch frame.  I would have added it to this post, but blogger didn't like the size of the picture.  So, if you have any trouble finding it from this link, let me know, I'll email it to you.

I'd like to see if I can add the names in photoshop and then send this off to have it printed on canvas. Wouldn't that be cool? 

The chart I made for my parents still hangs in their home.  I think we've all been surprised at how often we look at it, and use it as quick reference to our ancestry. 

Happy Hunting!


16 comments:

Jillian said...

Thanks for posting this! I've never seen a chart like this and lately I've been wanting to map out my family history. This is perfect! Thank you :)

--Jillian
todaybebeautiful.blogspot.com

Charmain said...

Jillian, I'm so glad it will work for you! It really is such an easy way to look at your genealogy at a glance. Happy Family History Hunting!

Gigi613 said...

I also used the Martha Stewart fan chart for my parents and myself and really loved the classy look of it. A few years ago I did one for my Uncle and could not find a M.S. chart anywhere on the web like I used, I was so disappointed but the chart turned out really nice as well. Thanks for the blog!

Gigi613 said...

I also used the Martha Stewart fan chart for my parents and myself and really loved the classy look of it. A few years ago I did one for my Uncle and could not find a M.S. chart anywhere on the web like I used, I was so disappointed but the chart turned out really nice as well. Thanks for the blog!

Unknown said...

to A Girl and her Needle (AGN) or any one: Do you provide a "Martha Stewart" same size. Or where can I get one. I do not have the printing capacity for one that size.

Unknown said...

to A Girl and her Needle (AGN) or any one: Do you provide a "Martha Stewart" same size. Or where can I get one. I do not have the printing capacity for one that size.

Charmain said...

Nancy, you can have what's called an Engineer Print or Poster Print done at any office supply store. Last I checked Staples could print it for under $5.00. I would assume other places would be about the same. If the link doesn't work, let me know and I'll email you the chart.

I hope this works out for you!

ajones said...

I can not get that link to work from artdork. I tried off the Martha Stewart page and your post. I love that family tree and disappointed to find that MS sold it at one time but has discontinued it.

How do I get a copy of the tree from artdork? I am very frustrated that I can not find the template anywhere.

TIA :)

Charmain said...

ajones,

I'm sorry you can't get the link to work. Please send me an email to charmainrunyon@gmail.com and I'll forward you the tree.

Lil said...

Does someone have a copy of this large sized fan chart they would be willing to sell?
Thanks!
Lil

Susan said...

For What It's Worth ... I couldn't get the link to work right either, but right-clicking the link and selecting "save target as" on a windows machine, worked like a charm!

Kelly said...

I'm so glad I ordered this from her while she was still making them. I have it filled out lightly in pencil and now have to go back either with the fine calligraphy pen, archival quality, in a dark sienna. It's going to be gorgeous. I've kept it in the flat shipping box all these years to protect it.

tewi said...

I have the original Martha Geneology Fan Chart and would like to sell mine!

Unknown said...

The link to the jpeg didn't work. Could you email it to me?

argadetectives said...

This sample answer addresses the company’s brand and history, but also demonstrates that the candidate took the time to do some additional research through his network (read on for some tips on how to research companies before you interview). The answer goes on to emphasize the candidate’s interest in working hard and developing on the job.

if you want more just look here "savannarecruitment.com"

argadetectives said...

The Arga Detective Agency has been for many years,
developing research as detectives in the field of the community of Madrid, nationally and internationally. Our experience and recognition guarantee us as the most prestigious Detective Agency in Spain

if you want more just look here "perito informático forense"